TP-LINK RE450 | AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender
Do you want to expand your Wi-Fi network range? Try out TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (TP-LINK RE450). With this, you don’t have to worry anymore about dead zones. The range extender connects to the router wireless to expand and strengthen its signal that the router is not being able to reach. This device can reduce signal interference to make sure you get reliable Wi-Fi network coverage in your office or home.
TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE450 is powered by 802.11AC Wi-Fi technology. This is much faster than 802.11n speeds. It offers fast speeds of dual-band Wi-Fi. So, you can enjoy a speed of up to 1759 Mbps.
TP-LINK RE450 Wi-Fi Range Extender makes sure you enjoy lag-free gaming, 4K streaming, and large file download. It comes with a gigabit Ethernet port that can convert the extender to a wireless bridge. Thus, you can connect to a wired device gaming console, Blu-ray player, smart TV, or DVR to the Wi-Fi network.
Features and Specifications of TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE450)
- The extender can expand 450Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps on 5GHz. This totals to 1750Mbps speed.
- It has 3 adjustable external antennas that offer optimal Wi-Fi coverage and also a trustworthy connection.
- The gigabit Ethernet port of the extender serves as the wireless adapter for connecting to a device to the network at gigabit speed.
- Its intelligent signal light will help in finding the best location to get optimal Wi-Fi coverage by showing its signal strength.
- Works with a wireless access point and also with the router.
- The extender connects with regular wireless routers.
- It can be easily connected by pressing on the RE button on the extender.
- With this, you can enjoy seamless 4K video streaming, faster file downloads, and lag-free gaming.
LED Light Status of TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE450
You can check the working status of the extender. just follow the LED light statuses we have shared below:
Solid Blue: It shows that the extender is connected to the wireless network of the router and has been placed in a suitable location.
Solid Red: It shows that the extender is not getting a proper signal. You have to try and relocate the router.
Flashing: It means WPS connection is in the process of being established.
Off: This shows that no wireless connection has been established.
On: It shows that the extender is connecting to the 2.4 GHz/5GHz wireless networks of the host router.
Off: It means that no wireless connection has been established.
On: It indicates that the extender is on.
Flashing: It shows that the firmware is being upgraded, or the extender is starting up.
Off: It means that the extender is off.
How to Set Up the TP-LINK RE450 AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender?
The setup process of this range extender is pretty easy and is only going to take a few minutes.
Come, let’s take a look at the steps.
The first thing that you need to do is plug the extender to a power outlet close to the host router. Thereafter, wait for the POWER LED to be turned on and become solid.
Note: To ensure safety make sure that you plug the extender in the upright direction. Connect it to Host Network
There are 3 different ways to connect to a host network that is through the web browser, WPS button, or TP-Link Tether app. It is best to use the WPS button for extending the host network. If your router has a WPS button, you should use this way.
1. Using WPS Button
- Press the host router’s WPS button and then press on the button that looks like a lock on the extender for two minutes.
Note: At times, some ISP gateways can disable this WPS function by default. So, in case the WPS connection fails, you should connect it through the web browser.
- Wait for the LED signal to change to solid blue. This shows that the WPS connection has been established. In case it doesn’t turn blue, connect it using the web browser.
- In case you are connecting to the dual-band router, but just the 5GHz or 2.4GHz is on, repeat the previous two steps to connect the band.
- Now that you have connected to the extended network, you can happily enjoy a fast internet connection. Both the networks come with the same SSIDs and the passwords of the host network.
Note: As the performance of the extended network is going to be affected by the distance between the host router and the extender, relocate the extender.
2. Setup TPlink Re450 Using Web Browser
- Connect the computer to the wireless network of the extender.
Note: Before you connect, please look for the SSID label on your extender.
a. For Windows Users
Unplug the Ethernet cable from your computer if there is any and click on the Wi-Fi icon that is present on the taskbar. Thereafter, connect it to the wireless network of the extender.
b. For Mac Users
Unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer and click on the Wi-Fi icon that is present at the screen’s top-right corner. Then connect to the network of the extender.
Now, you have to follow the instructions given in the ‘Quick Setup’ wizard for connection to the extender to the host router.
- Open a web browser and then enter http://192.168.0.254 or http://tplinkrepeater.net in the address bar. Create a password to login in the future and click on ‘Start’.
- Choose the 2.4GHz SSID (network name) of the host router, enter the password (not the one you created in the previous step). After this, click on the option ‘Next’.
- Select the 5GHz SSID (network name) of the host router, enter the password (not the one you created in the previous step). After this, click on the option ‘Next’.
- You can either keep the default SSID or just customize it for the extended networks. Then again click on ‘Next’.
- Verify the settings of the wireless and then click on ‘Save’. The corresponding LED is going to turn on.
- Now you have successfully connected to the extended network. Remember, both the extended network shares the same wireless password just as the host network. However, they can have different network names in case you have customized it during the process of configuration.
Note: As the performance of the extended network gets affected by the host routers and extender’s distance, you should relocate the extender.
3. Setup Tplink Re450 Using the TP-Link Tether App
- Open the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and search for TP-Link Tether. You can also scan the QR Code for downloading and installing the app.
- Next, you have to go to Wi-Fi settings to connect the wireless network of the extender, TP-Link_Extender_5GHz, or TP-Link_Extender_2.4GHz.
- Open the Tether and choose the extender from the list of the Local Device.
- Create a password to login in the future and click on ‘Create’.
- Next, you will have to follow the instructions that have been given on-screen for completing the configuration.
Note: You can manage the extender through Tether like sharing passwords of the network, controlling LEDs, and blocking devices.
Position the Network
To make sure that the extender functions optimally, you have to follow the instructions given below:
- Plugin the extender to a power outlet, between the dead zone of the Wi-Fi and the host router. The location you have chosen should be within the network of the host.
- Next, you will have to wait till you see the signal turning solid blue. In case it doesn’t, make sure that it relocates close to the host router for achieving a better signal.
Note: For minimizing the signal interference, it is necessary to select a location that’s far away from the household devices such as microwave oven or cordless phones, or any Bluetooth device.
How to Upgrade tp-link re450 Firmware?
TP-Link improves the features of the extender every now and then to make sure the users have a better experience. Just download the firmware file from TP-Link’s ‘Support’ page from https://www.tp-link.com/in/ and upgrade the firmware.
- Check if the latest firmware matches the hardware version.
- Check if you have a stable connection between the computer and the extender. Do not upgrade the firmware wirelessly.
- Make sure that you back up the extender configuration.
- Don’t power off the extender while the upgrade is in process.
Now, to upgrade firmware, follow the instructions we have discussed below:
- Download the latest firmware file for your extender from https://www.tp-link.com/in/.
- Now, go to http://tplinkrepeater.net/ and use your login ID and password you have set for the extender.
- On the next page, open ‘Settings’ and go to ‘System Tools’. Under this, you will find the option ‘Firmware Upgrade’.
- Click on ‘Browse’ for locating the new firmware file you have downloaded and click on ‘Upgrade’.
- Wait for some time for the firmware to be complete and let the extender reboot.
How to Backup and Restore re450 Configuration Settings?
The extender configuration settings are stored as the configuration file in the extender. If you want, you can create a backup of the configuration file and restore it to the previous settings from the backup you created when required. If needed, you can delete the new settings and reset your extender to default settings.
- Go to http://tplinkrepeater.net/ and log in using your ID and Password you have set for the extender.
- Now, you have to ‘Settings’ and open ‘System Tools’. Under this, you will find the option ‘Backup & Restore’.
For backing Up the Configuration Settings
- Click on Backup for saving a copy of the current setting on the local desktop. A ‘.bin’ file of the new settings is going to be stored on the desktop.
For Restoring Configuration Settings
- Click on Browser for locating the backup configuration file that is stored on the desktop and click on ‘Restore’.
- Wait for some time for it to restore and reboot.
For Resetting the Extender to Factory Default Settings
- Click on ‘Factory Restore’ for resetting the extender.
- Wait for some time for it to restore and reboot.
Note: During the reset process, you shouldn’t power off or even reset the extender. Also, it is better to back up the current configuration settings prior to resetting the router.
What to Do If I Am Unable to Access the re450 Page of Web Management?
You might not be able to access the web management page due to various reasons. Here are the reasons:
- In case the computer is connected wireless, connect to the SSID of the extender.
- In case the desktop is connected through the Ethernet cable, make sure that you have a stable connection.
- Check if the computer is to secure an IP address and also the DNS server automatically.
- Check if you have entered http://192.168.0.254 or http://tplinkrepeater.net correctly in the web browser before pressing enter.
- Use the IP address before accessing the extender. Its default IP address is 192.168.0.254. In case the extender is connected to the router, go to DHCP client of the router.
- Reset the extender and then try once again.
After Enabling Wireless MAC Filter, Wireless Access Control, or Access Control List on the Router, What do I have to Do to Extend the Router?
If a device is connected to the router through the extender, the device’s MAC address will be shown on the router. In case the MAC filter of the router, ACL, or wireless access control, is enabled, the devices that are connected to your extender will not get an IP address from the extender. Thus, it will not be able to connect to the internet.
In order to solve this issue, you have to follow the guide given below:
- Log in to the router and then disable the MAC filter, ACL, or wireless access control.
Note: To learn about how to disable the MAC filter of the router, ACL, or wireless access control, refer to the user guide of the router.
- Switch on the extender and run a ‘Quick Setup’ for configuring the extender.
- Connect the device to an extended network and make sure that the Link LED of the router remains lit.
- On the router, add the MAC address of the Online Devices to the MAC table of the router.
- Enable the MAC filter of the router, AC, or wireless access control to complete the process of configuration.
What to Do When I Forget My Wireless Network’s Password on tplink re450?
The factory default setting of the wireless password can be found on the extender’s label. In case you have changed the password, connect the computer to the extender with the help of the Ethernet cable. Now, follow the steps that have been given below:
- Go to http://tplinkrepeater.net, and log in using the password you had set for your extender.
- Next, you will have to go to ‘Settings’ and then open the option ‘Wireless’. Under this ‘Wireless Settings’ for retrieving or resetting the wireless router.
How to Use the re450 Extender as the Wireless Adapter?
You can use the extender as the wireless adapter for connecting a wired-only device like gaming console, Blu-ray Player, smart TV, or DVR to the wireless network.
After configuring, you will have to connect a device that is Ethernet-enabled to the extender using the Ethernet cable.
Note: An extender that doesn’t have an Ethernet port will not support this feature.
By default, the extender’s Ethernet port will be connected to the 5GHz wireless network. If you have to change the wireless frequency of the connection, you will have to follow the steps given below:
- Visit http://tplinkrepeater.net/ and log in using the ID and password you have set for the extender.
- Next, you have to go to ‘Settings’ and then ‘Network’.
- Choose 5GHz or 2.4GHz and then click on ‘Save’.
How can You Adjust the Wi-Fi Coverage?
You can adjust the Wi-Fi coverage of the extender based on how large you would like your Wi-Fi coverage to be.
Follow the instructions given below to adjust the coverage.
- Go to http://tplinkrepeater.net/ and then log in using your ID and password of the extender.
- Now, you have to go to ‘Settings’ and then open ‘Advanced Settings’. Under this, you will find the option ‘Wi-Fi Coverage.
- Choose Max, Mid, or Min for adjusting the extender’s Wi-Fi coverage.
Tplink RE450 Review
The TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE450) is a great choice if you want to extend the wireless network in your home or office. It delivers fast and solid wireless network speed. With this, you are sure to experience a good signal range. The range extender might be a little bulky and doesn’t have a pass-through outlet. It has two-fold antennas on either side of it. The bulky frame impedes its access to the second-outlet in its two-outlet box. However, it performs excellently at long-distance ranges.
Installing the extender is a snap, particularly if you have a router that supports WPS. This method only takes 3 minutes. If the router doesn’t support WPS, you can connect it using your web browser. Setting up TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE450) is no hassle.
Sure, it might take up two outlets and doesn’t offer as many LAN ports, as the other extenders, it is a catch if you consider its performance. TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE450) is available at an affordable price.
Thus, it can be said that TP-LINK AC1750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (RE450) is a better all-round performer and that is what makes it the favorite of many Wi-Fi users.