A detailed guide to using TP-Link AX1500 WiFi Extender Internet Booster RE505X
TP-Link AX1500 WiFi Extender Internet Booster can boost your wireless signal wherever the router leaves off. This helps in eliminating the dead spots. With tplink ax1500 re505x, you don’t have to upgrade to an expensive mesh networking system. All you have to do is plug the TP-Link re505x into the nearest power outlet and it will immediately strengthen your weak wireless signal. The high-end antennas of the extender have been designed to eliminate spotty coverage.
TP-Link AX1500 WiFi Extender lets you expand the coverage of the fastest next-generation Wi-Fi. Using this, you will be able to fill every inch of your house with Wi-Fi 6. So, now you will be able to binge-watch your show from any corner of your house. The extender can be set up easily, and with a few easy steps, you can manage your Wi-Fi.
Specifications and Features of TPLink AX1500 RE505x WiFi Extender
TP-Link Re505x AX1500 WiFi Extender Internet Booster comes with some noteworthy features and specifications. Let’s take a quick look at them.
- The extender lets you connect more devices which are out of range to the main router while getting rid of poor performance.
- It comes with a gigabit Ethernet port. So, you can experience wired speed at every corner of your house.
- You can create One Mesh Technology with the help of compatible routers and range extenders. This makes sure that you do not lose signal or switch networks.
- TP-Link AX1500 WiFi Extender Internet Booster is compatible with every Wi-Fi-enabled routers and devices. . The extender also supports new laptops, AX phones, and devices.
- Its adaptive path selection will keep the network running at the best speed by choosing the fastest connection path to your router automatically.
- You can use both Wi-Fi bands for enjoying super-fast connection and this is ideal for gaming and HD streaming.
- TPLink AX 1500 is more than just a wireless range extender. It has a built-in access point mode. So, just plug the Ethernet cable into the port easily which will turn the wired connection into a high-speed dual-band wireless signal.
How to Setup and Install TP-Link AX1500 WiFi Extender Internet Booster RE505X?
In this section, you will get to learn how to boost the host wireless coverage. just follow the step-by-step guide to set up the internet connection.
- Power On the Extender
Plugin the extender to a power outlet close to the router. Now, wait for the Power LED to turn solid. This means it has been switched on.
Note: For safety, make sure that you are plugging the extender in the upright direction.
- Set Up the Extender
There are primarily three ways to set up the extender. these are,
• TP-LINK Tether app
• Web Browser
• WPS Button
Let’s take a look at each of these methods.
TP-Link AX1500 setup via Tether App
To set up the app using the TP-Link Tether App, you have to use the following steps.
- Download the app for your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet from the Google Play Store or App Store, respectively. You can also scan the QR code from the official page to download or install the app.
- Open the Tether app and log in using the TP-Link ID. In case you do not have one, you have to create it first.
- Now, tap on the ‘+’ icon present in the upper-right corner and choose ‘Range Extender’.
- Follow the instructions given by the app for setting up the extender.
- In case the host router supports OneMesh, you can activate ‘Join OneMesh’ for copying the wireless settings of the router for seamless roaming. This is an optional step.
- Next, relocate the extender for optimizing the Wi-Fi performance and coverage. This will enable you to enjoy the extended internet network.
Note: To get intuitive location assistance, open extender settings through Tether and go to ‘Tools’ and then ‘Location Assistant’. You can manage the extender through Tether such as controlling LEDs, sharing passwords of the network, and blocking devices.
Tplink Re505x setup via Web Browser
To connect the extender using the web browser, just follow the steps given below.
a. Connect the computer to the extender wireless,
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon present on the taskbar and connect it to the wireless network of the extender.
For Mac OS X Users
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the computer
- Now, click on the Wi-Fi icon present on the top-right corner of the system’s screen and connect to the network of the extender.
b. Follow the instructions that have been given on the Quick Setup Wizard for connecting your extender to the host router.
- Open the web browser and enter http://192.168.0.254 or tplinkrepeater.net in the address bar. Thereafter, create a password for logging in.
- Choose the 2.4GHz SSID of the host router and enter its password. Remember, this isn’t the password that you create for management. When you have entered the password, click on ‘Next’.
- Choose the 5GHz SSID of the host router, enter the password, and then click on ‘NEXT’.
- Now, confirm the host network password.
- Either keep the default SSIDs or simply customize them for your extended network. Thereafter, click on ‘Next’.
Tip: In case you connect the extender to a TP-Link OneMesh router, the extender is going to join the OneMesh network of the router automatically and copy the wireless settings of the router.
- Now, you have to follow the web instructions for relocating the extender for maximum Wi-Fi performance and coverage. Next, you have to click on ‘Done’.
- Now, you have successfully connected to the extended network. So, you can enjoy uninterrupted internet.
ax1500 setup via WPS Button
To set up the extender using the WPS button, you just have to use the steps enumerated below. But before you do so, check if the router has a WPS button.
- Press the WPS button on the host router and then press the WPS button present on the extender. Make sure you press the extender WPS button within 2 minutes for 1 second.
- Wait for the LED Signal from blinking to solid. This shows that the WPS connection has been set up successfully.
Note: In case the LED doesn’t turn solid, make sure you try again.
- In case the extender has connected to a dual-band router, repeat the first and second steps for connecting to the other band.
- Wait for the LED Signal to turn should and this indicates that the setup has been done.
In case you cannot find the network name that has _EXT in the Wi-Fi network list, it means that the extender has been connected to the OneMesh router and has copied its wireless setting automatically.
- Now, relocate the extender to enjoy optimal Wi-Fi performance and coverage.
-> Plug the extender about halfway between the router and the Wi-Fi dead zone. Remember, the location that you are choosing has to be within the range of the router.
-> Wait for around 2 minutes till the Signal LED turns to solid blue. In case it does not relocate your extender much closer to the router to get a better signal.
Note: For minimizing the signal interference, make sure that you choose a location that is away from the Bluetooth device or other electronic devices in the house like the microwave ovens, cordless phones, or baby monitors.
- Now, you have successfully connected the extender to the router.
LED Indicator Lights of TP-Link AX1500 Extender
The LED light indicators show the working status of the TP-Link AX1500 Re505x Extender. Find out what each LED light indicator means.
- On/Off: It shows the extender is off
- Blinking: It means that the firmware is being upgraded or the system is starting up.
- Solid Blue: This means that the extender is connected to the wireless network of the router and it is the perfect location.
- Solid Red: It shows the extender is getting a weak signal. So, try to relocate it close to the host router.
- Blinking: It shows that the WPS connection is in progress.
- Off: It indicates that no wireless connection has been established.
On/Off: This shows that the extender is connected or not to the 2.4GHz wireless network to the host router.
On/Off: It indicates whether or not the extender is connected to the 5GHz wireless network of the host router.
How to do a Firmware Upgrade of TP-Link RE5085X AX1500 Internet Booster?
TP-Link keeps improving its features to make sure that you have a better experience with the network. They inform you through its web management page in case there is any updated firmware available for the network. Moreover, you will find the latest firmware at the official website of TP-Link and you will be able to download it from the support page free of cost.
- Check if the latest firmware is matched with the extender’s hardware version.
- Check if you have a stable connection between the computer and the extender
- Backup the extender configuration
- Don’t power off the extender while doing a firmware upgrade.
Now let’s move on to how you can upgrade the firmware. There are basically two ways to do that.
1. Upgrading Firmware Online
- Open your web browser to visit http://tplinkrepeater.net and then log in with the TP-Link ID or the password that you have set for the extender.
- When the latest firmware is available for the extender, it will be shown in the update icon that is present at the top-right corner of the page. Click on the icon to proceed to the Firmware Upgrade page.
You can also go to ‘Settings’ and then to ‘System Tools’, and ‘Firmware Upgrade’. Lastly, you have to click on ‘Check for upgrade’ to find out if the new firmware has been released.
- Check the Online Upgrade section and then click on ‘Upgrade’.
- Wait for some time to upgrade and reboot for the process to be complete.
2. Upgrading Firmware Locally
- Download the latest firmware file for the extender from the website www.tp-link.com.
- Now, visit the http://tplinkrepeater.net and log in using your TP-Link ID or password that you have set for the extender.
- Now, go to ‘Settings’, then ‘System Tools’, and then ‘Firmware Upgrade’.
- Click on ‘Browse’ for locating the downloaded firmware file and then click on the option ‘Upgrade’.
- Wait for some time for the upgrade to be complete and then allow the extender to reboot.
TP-Link AX1500 WiFi Extender RE505X is an affordable and easy to extender that can extend your Wi-Fi signal range. When it comes to its appearance, it is loud and colorful. So, even though it has two big antennas coming out from its sides, you are not really going to notice it once you have plugged it in. The antennas swivel vertically, so you can pivot them down.
TPLink RE505x AX1500 Internet Booster is a Wi-Fi 6 enabled extender. So, it will give you Wi-Fi 6 signal from the Wi-Fi 6 router. But if you have a Wi-Fi 5 router, it is just going to extend the range of that signal instead of creating a Wi-Fi 6 signal.
What’s best is you can customize how you would like to use TP-Link AX1500 Extender. You can use it as an access point that converts the wired connection to a dual-band wireless signal.
However, one of the coolest technologies of the router is the OneMesh. It lets you create a mesh network with the TP-Link routers or other extenders. However, the only issue with this feature is there are only a few routes that are compatible with this.
With this, you will be able to use multiple devices simultaneously without any drop-offs. Thus, network performance is quite consistent and reliable. The Tether makes it super easy to set it up.